Are you trying to get more people to visit your website?
Driving organic and paid traffic to your website is all about finding the right methods and proper traffic sources. In this section we will discuss all the methods we suggest to get more website visits.
Having a website is only half the battle, you will also need a steady stream of website traffic.
If you’re just starting out, you might be having trouble promoting your website.
Getting internet users to visit your website is not going to be an easy task.
The good news is that I have an extensive blueprint for you to follow below.
You will need to pursue many avenues and methods to attract your initial website visitors.
Let’s talk about how you can start driving more traffic to your website.
Advertise Online to Drive Traffic
The highest return on your time investment is going to be online paid advertising.
It doesn’t take much time and effort on your part to start running ads.
Especially with tools like SpyFu that allow you to spy on your competitors ads.
Here’s a list of places to consider advertising online.
Places to Advertise Online
Advertising Blueprint for Increasing Traffic
A widely proven method for driving traffic and converting those first time visitors into buyers is called Retargeting.
What are Retargeting Ads?
Also known as Remarketing, a Retargeting Ad Campaign uses internet cookies to store previous actions of anonymous users through a Retargeting Pixel.
Online advertisers can run Retargeting Ads directed at only individuals who have performed certain actions like visiting the checkout page of the sellers website.
Remarketing is extremely powerful considering most people are window shoppers online and only 2% make a purchase their first visit.
Here’s how you can use cold search traffic to pixel your visitors and then start retargeting to them on social.
Step 1. Consider using SpyFu to get ideas of how your competitors are spending their advertising money.
Step 2. Setup a Google Ads account.
Step 3. Create your first Ad on Google.
Step 4. Drive cold search traffic to your website through Google Ads.
Step 5. Make sure your website or landing page has a Retargeting Pixel installed.
Step 6. Now your cold search traffic has been “Pixeled” aka a cookie has been set on their machine.
Step 7. A percentage of your “Pixeled” website visitors will now go visit Facebook.
Step 8. If you haven’t already make sure to start running a retargeting ad campaign on Facebook.
Step 9. At this point your website visitors are now seeing your Ads on Facebook, Instagram, etc.
The problem is that advertising costs money and this is not always a sustainable method for early-stage startups.
Let’s take a look at other methods of driving traffic in the following sections that we can do without having deep pockets.
Content Marketing to Increase Traffic
Content Marketing is by far my favorite way to drive traffic to my own websites.
The following strategies used for driving traffic to websites is a proven content marketing strategy used by the pros.
The Content Marketing Blueprint
#1 Select the Right Content Topics
Here are a few tools you can use to find popular topics to talk about before you get started.
It is important for you to do the research on what your audience wants to consume.
The Winning Content Formula: High Search Volume + Low Competition
- UberSuggest – Google Keyword Planner can be hard for beginners to understand. Instead try using this tool created by Neil Patel to help you find highly searched keywords and key phrases.
- BuzzSumo – Use this tool to find the most popular articles to get ideas for content. This tool is expensive so I don’t often recommend it to new business owners with a smaller budget.
- Google Trends – This is a great way to see what is currently relevant and trending on Google.
- AnswerThePublic – This is a great tool for seeing a visual breakdown of all the questions asked around a specific topic.
#2 Write Inviting Headlines
Create multiple headlines for everything you produce, this way you can A/B test which one performs best. Some tips for creating inviting headlines include:
- Promise to provide value
- Create list based content
- Prey on emotions
- Use odd numbers for your list based content
- Peak the readers curiosity
- Use parenthesis or brackets for additional content
- Boost credibility
- Use colons to break headline content up if needed
- Use questions to promote engagement
- Find formulas that work and reuse them
#3 Write Valuable Content
Write your best content and give away everything!
Seriously, don’t hold back or your competitors will beat you to the punch.
Educate your audience and give them a reason to trust you.
#4 Add More Visuals
Use visuals for every section that you’ve created and consider adding helpful videos as well.
Images will help you convert more visitors and keep your audience engaged.
#5 Optimize Content
When you first start writing content it’s somewhat of a mystery as to which tags to use for your copy. Although, there is a simple method I use to write these guides, articles and pages. It all starts with proper structure and it is important to stay consistent for the readers and search engines.
Use H1 (Heading 1) for your main title on the page, H2’s for your section titles, H3’s for supporting descriptions of your sections and P (paragraph) tags for general content. If you follow these simple blueprints for structuring your content you should see a significant difference in ranking and consumption of content.
#6 Focus on Long-Tail Keywords
We all know by now that keywords and keyword phrases are an important part of how web pages get indexed. That’s why it’s crucial that you plan out your keywords before writing an article or editing pages to include your targeted keywords.
Use the free Google Keyword Planner to discover keywords or keyword phrases that will rank and perform at a higher level. Most people think this tool is just for paid advertising, but the secret is using it for organic growth as well.
The winning search formula is simple, find keywords that have moderate to high search volume every month but very low competition. The Keyword Planner tool will help you to uncover a treasure trove of helpful ranking information.
That’s pretty simple, right?
Keyword Formula: High Search Volume + Low Competition = Winning Keywords
#7 Content Links
Always embed internal links to relevant content to decrease your bounce-rate and promote your internal content.
Internal links are your bread and butter but don’t forget to add several reputable external links as well.
Google and other search engines value content with content links over content without links.
#8 Mention Influencers
Mentioning or using influencers, celebrities or other well-known entities will increase the social shareability.
Influencers can be excellent brand promoters. Find a few quality influencers in your niche and arrange collaborations with them. Send them a free product or give them a commission on sales to entice them to work with you. Depending on your niche, the two best places to look for influencers are usually Instagram and Youtube. Here are some tips for finding the right influencers:
- Instagram – Look for influencers that have at least a 10% engagement rate. Don’t get stuck on only looking for influencers with a large number of followers. An influencer with 10,000 followers and a 10% engagement rate will provide you with more value than an influencer with 100,000 followers and a 0.5% engagement rate. Once you’ve found a quality influencer, reach out to them via DM or email and ask if they might be interested in a collaboration. When it comes to creating promotional content, it’s best to let the influencers decide how it should look like since they know what works best with their audience.
- YouTube – When looking for YouTube influencers, make sure to pick those which post content that is closely related to your niche. There’s no point in collaborating with a gaming YouTube channel if you sell beauty products, no matter how many subscribers that channel might have. Once you’ve found a suitable channel, go to their About page and look for an email address. Reach out to them and ask if they would like to create a video for you in exchange for a free product or service. Some YouTubers might be strictly looking to get paid, so keep that in mind as well.
Social Exposure to Drive Traffic
Your social media pages can be an excellent channel for distributing your owned content.
Distributing content via your social media pages on networks such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter can do wonders for improving brand awareness and driving sales.
It can also help you build and nurture relationships with your customers and prospects.
Make sure to use a consistent tone across all your social media channels and develop a regular social media posting schedule.
Don’t try to be on every social network out there.
Pick the ones that seem the most relevant for your business and keep posting on the ones that provide good results.
If your content doesn’t seem to perform particularly well on a certain social media network, do some testing and try to improve the results by using different types of content.
If that fails, consider dropping that particular network from your content distribution strategy completely.
Link Building to Drive Traffic
If you’ve read about SEO, then by now I’m sure you’ve heard all about backlinks. Backlinks are simply other websites that link back to your website. The more quality backlinks (high PR websites) that are pointing to your content, the higher it will rank. It is considered the holy grail of organic traffic. It will allow your website to grow at an accelerated rate if done properly.
It’s important to note that quality over quantity also applies in the backlink world. A backlink’s quality score is based on the authority of that referring website. In some cases your ranking could be impacted negatively if you try to game the system with spammy backlinks, so be careful or you will be penalized by search algorithms.
Here’s are several tips to start building quality backlinks:
- Find opportunities to write guest blog posts for high ranking websites in your industry.
- Keep track of where your competitors are getting backlinks.
- Use Internal Links as well, meaning point back to your own content.
- Write testimonials that will include backlinks to your website.
- Use services like JustReachOut to find relevant journalists to pitch your product, services or articles. Also sign up for Help a Report Out (HARO) and start responding to requests.
- A surprisingly effective way to build backlinks is donating to non-profit organizations that have pages to recognize the businesses that have contributed.
- Agree to do blog and podcast interviews that use backlinks on their pages.
- Promote sharing on your blog posts.
- Add your website link to all your social accounts.
- Comment on high authority blogs.
- Find websites with broken links on related topics and offer to link your content.
- Join related Facebook Groups and Forums
- Create a Youtube account
Email Marketing to Increase Traffic
Email marketing currently holds the consistency badge for online conversions.
It’s profitable and a great way to drive traffic to a targeted source. It’s the easiest way to reach your audience and less noise than social networks.
You can send regular updates about new content on your site to your email subscribers to get them to visit your website.
WAIT! Did you say you don’t have an email list??
Don’t wait until your ready to start growing your list, take action right way.
Build Your Email List & Increase Website Visits
1. Build an Email List
Now it’s time to convince people to join your list. You’ll need to provide your visitors with something of value. Free PDF eBooks, exclusive discounts or repurposed content works well.
For more information on building email lists, take a look at our guide on building giant email lists within 90 days.
2. Nurture Email Leads
Once you get people on your email list, you can’t just start spamming them with links to your content.
You need to slowly develop a relationship with your email subscribers, and give them time to begin to trust you.
Start by sending your subscribers a welcome email, telling them what kind of content they can expect from you in the future.
Let them know how often you’re going to email them and make sure to remind them why they’re getting emails from you.
After sending out a welcome email to your leads, you can start emailing them some of your content that you believe might interest them.
Remember not to overdo it, email your list a maximum of two times per week.
Community Engagement Increases Traffic
Online forums are a great place to find your target audience. In most cases forums will focus on a specific niche which will allow you to find online users who will likely also be interested in what you have to offer over random visitors.
- Find forums and Facebook groups with members that match your target audience.
- Join these groups and start engaging without trying to sell yourself or business.
- Answer member questions and get involved.
- After 60 days you can start to talk about your website in a related matter.
Video Marketing to Drive Traffic
Studies show that people spend 30 minutes every day watching online videos.
55% of people watch a minimum of one video every single day.
Videos are also popular among shoppers, with 50% stating that they watch product videos before deciding to go to a brick and mortar store.
It’s clear that video is a popular format among consumers and that’s why you should try to incorporate video marketing into your marketing strategy.
Videos are the most popular type of online content today, with studies showing that people spend an average of 30 minutes per day watching online videos. Videos are an excellent medium for showing and explaining your new product or service. They are also more likely to go viral than blog posts and photos.
There are plenty of statistics online that improve the effectiveness of videos. Let’s look at just a few from Vidyard’s video marketing benchmarks report:
- Using videos in emails can increase click-through rates by up to 300%
- The conversion rate of a landing page can increase by 80% once you embed a video to it.
- 39% of executives call a vendor after watching a video on their website.
Host Podcasts to Increase Traffic
Hosting the Customer Acquired Podcast has been a highly effective tool for our business to grow.
You can use podcast episodes to educate and entertain your audience.
Audio is a great way to form a deeper connection with your fans and drive traffic.
Get your listeners to visit your website by giving away free stuff at a special URL they can visit.
Host Webinars to Increase Traffic
Try educating your users through the power of live or evergreen webinars.
We at Customer Acquired use EverWebinar which allows us to upload an automated webinar.
Webinar attendees want to learn more about a specific strategy, method, product or niche.
Towards the end of your webinar you can send attendees to your website, usually for a special offer.
Attend Social Events to Drive Traffic
Community events are a great way to meet like-minded individuals, investors, and potential early adopters of your product or service.
Just recently I attended the Podfest event in Orlando, Florida.
The event was full of surprises but what didn’t surprise me was the surge of traffic.
When you connect with people in person they want to look you up online.
Take the time to drive traffic from the real world and you will see guaranteed results.
Conferences, local meetups and social groups are great ways to build a loyal following.
Try to attend as many of these events as possible.
Remember to not be shy and try to network with at least a dozen people at each event you attend.
Directory Listings Increase Traffic
You can get some new users quickly and easily by submitting your business to startup directories. Depending on which directory you submit your startup to, a listing can also provide you with a valuable backlink that can help boost your search engine rankings.
Here are some of the most popular startup directories that you can list your business on:
Email Signature Get Website Traffic
If you’re pitching people by email, why not include a way to find your website?
People by nature are curious and will want to find out more about you or your business.
Allow email recipients to take action and find out more.
WiseStamp is an awesome tool to create fancy email signatures.
Shareables Drive Traffic to Website
Create educational and informative infographics.
You can also turn your infographics into slides to share on ShareSlide.
Make it easy for users to share or download your graphics and slides.
We have also seen viral memes with a watermark and backlink effectively increase traffic.
Answer Questions to Increase Traffic
Quora is a community website founded in 2009 by Adam D’Angelo and Charlie Cheever.
Today, it is one of the biggest Q & A websites in the world, with over 300 million monthly users.
Millions of people from all over the world visit Quora every day to ask and answer questions on a wide variety of topics.
If you use it properly, Quora can drive significant amounts of traffic to your website and get you more users and customers quickly.
All you need to do to take advantage of Quora’s huge user base is create an account and start answering questions related to your industry.
Take the time to write detailed, thought-out answers. Put in the effort to share your knowledge and expertise with other users.
Rather than focusing on self-promotion, try to genuinely help users and answer their questions completely.
This will increase the chances of your answers becoming top-rated and driving massive amounts of traffic and signups to your website.
Refresh Content to Drive Traffic
Don’t allow your content to get stale and become deprecated.
Set reminders on your calendar to go back and update your content.
We recommend refreshing your content every six months.
This process will allow your content to stay fresh and drive more traffic.
Surveys, Quizzes & Questionnaires to Increase Traffic
By now I’m sure you’ve seen a quiz, survey or questionnaire on Facebook or Twitter.
Maybe you wanted to find out which Disney villain you were?
Either way, you clicked the link which redirected you to BuzzFeed or some other site.
So the moral of the story here is that quizzes, surveys and questionnaires get people to visit your website.
LeadQuizzes is a great tool you can use to create your online quizzes.
Giveaways Drive Traffic
Giveaways are another great way to promote your brand.
You can organize a giveaway and award the winners with a free sample of your product or service.
Not only will this help you reach more people and popularize your brand, it will also allow you to gain reviews from the winners.
Make sure to share your giveaway on your website and your social media accounts as well as send it to your email list in order to get as many people to participate as possible.
You can also write a blog post about your giveaway or even purchase advertising to promote it.
Make sure to make the giveaway as transparent as possible and post the winners on your website.
Cross-Pollination Increases Traffic
An easy and cost-efficient way to drive more attention and traffic to your website is to interview thought leaders from your industry.
Here’s how you get interviews with busy experts:
1. Start by creating a list of influential people in your industry.
2. Find their contact details and send them an email asking if they would be interested in being interviewed for your website or podcast.
3. Once you’ve found someone willing to be interviewed, create a list of questions and topics that you will discuss with them.
You can either perform the interview in person, over a phone call, video call, or an email.
Here’s what you should do before your interview:
1. Let your interviewee know about what kind of questions and topics you’re going to discuss so that they can prepare.
2. Make sure to do additional preparation on the topics yourself, this will allow for a better and more interesting discussion.
Here’s what you should do after your interview:
1. Send your interviewee a “Your Interview is Live!” email.
2. Make sure you hype up the interviewee by saying something like “We just posted the interview and my audience is already resonating with what you had to say.”.
3. Get your guests to share the interview with their network by making it easier for them to share. Writing ready-to-share 140 character copy that they can share right from their email in just one-click using clicktotweet.com.
Associating your brand with influential people and industry experts will help to improve your credibility.
Experts from your industry will also most likely have a large follower base that you’ll be able to take advantage of once they inevitably share the interview with their followers.
Once you complete and post the interview on your website, make sure to promote it further by posting about it on your social pages as well as sending a link to the interview to your email subscribers.
Steal Competitors Traffic
You’re the new kid on the block and you have competition that is crushing it.
Do you decide to feel defeated before you begin or do you decide to take a slice of their cake?
Remember the story of the tortoise and the hare?
Your competition has done all the hard work already, they have exposed the direct path to the finish line.
Let me show you how to legally steal your competitions’ traffic by slowly finishing what they started.
Here’s how you can catch up:
- Use SimilarWeb or Spyfu to find out where and how your competition is getting traffic.
- Review their current advertisements and model your ads after what they are currently doing.
- Analyze their data to find where their referral traffic is coming from and which keywords they are buying.
- Create and run ads based on the graphics, copy and keywords your competitors are targeting most.
- Reach out to the sites are currently the largest source of referral traffic for your competitors and ask to write a guest post or replace a broken link on their website with your relevant link.
Thoughtful Comments Drive Traffic
The internet is filled with thoughtless trolls.
So what stands out?
Simple, thoughtful comments that actually add value to a conversation.
Spend time being thoughtful and you will form a community that actively visits your website.
Care about others and website traffic will become a byproduct.
Create Free Tools to Increase Traffic
Creating free tools for your visitors is a great way to increase web traffic.
In most cases you can require an email which becomes a lead as well.
This method is called Engineering as Marketing.
Using web tools or apps to drive traffic can be highly effective but also very expensive.
Help Reporters to Increase Traffic
If you want a steady stream of traffic you should start leveraging reporters.
Journalists are always looking for stories from people just like you, so take advantage of this need.
Use HARO to get more traffic from high PR news sources, follow these steps:
- Go sign up for H.A.R.O (Help A Reporter Out) to get started.
- Create an authoritative bio that showcases you as a subject-matter expert.
- Check your email every day to respond to HARO opportunities.
- Respond quickly (within first 15 minutes).
- Pay attention to any special requirements.
- Keep the email short and concise, journalists hate long-winded emails.
- Don’t send any attachments in your reply.
- Rinse and repeat
Sharing Platforms Drive Traffic
The single most effective organic referral strategy (besides content marketing) is social marketing.
It goes without saying that you are dying slowly if you are not active on social networks.
Create a social content schedule and start dripping out your social content to all relevant platforms.
Find out which platform gives you the highest return on investment and double down.
Stay consistent and use tools like Buffer to post your content regularly.
Now that we have traffic, let’s convert these visitors into buyers! Click the button below to move on to module 4: Get Sales!